- 8 oz grünkern
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large onion chopped roughly
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 4 marrow bones
- 1½ lbs beef cut into chunks
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large pot. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.
- Leave cooking from at least Friday midday. (Grünkern requires a long cooking time.)
- The consistency should be more liquidy than chulent, but not as thin as a soup. Adjust water before Shabbat, as needed.
- If making into a full meal, use more beef.
- I typically make this in the crock-pot.