My mom taught me how to make this chulent and I woke up to its armor every winter shabbat morning growing up. It warms my heart and my belly!
- 1 cup beans soaked
- 1 cup barley
- 1 potato per person, peeled
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- Chile powder/creole seasoning
- 1 tsp of beef soup mix per cup of water
- 2 lbs of chuck roast or more depending on size of crock pot and how many people you are serving preferably with bone; if no bone, add marrow bones
- 1 Kishka
- 1 spicy sausage per person I prefer Jack’s, but any sausage works and any flavor
- 1 egg
- 1 jachnun watch it so it doesn’t get soggy; goal is to get it dark brown
Line the bottom of a crock pot with beans and barley. Layer rest of ingredients. Meat goes last and then add seasonings.
Add water until at least 3/4 of crock pot is full.
Turn crock pot on low and let it cook. I tend to turn on crock pot on Friday before shabbat so that it is cooking overnight and ready to be served when we get home from shul on Shabbat day. B'teavon!