- 2 kg stew beef chopped
- 2 large onions chopped
- 2 cups pot barley
- 2 cups dried navy beans cannelini beans, or black beans (or a mixture)
- 1 kg chopped potatoes any kind except sweet potatoes
- 4 garlic cloves smashed
- 3 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp hot or smoked paprika or half a tbsp of each
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp or more coarsely-ground black pepper more is better
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 6 eggs in the shell
- Water beef stock, or vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- If using beef, brown the beef on all sides. Do this in batches if necessary.
- Remove the beef to a plate.
- Sautee the onions until soft, about five minutes.
- Add the beef, onions, and all other ingredients except eggs to a large dutch oven. Mix to combine.
- Add enough water (or stock if using) to cover the dry ingredients, plus an additional two inches.
- Gently place the eggs into the water on top of the dry ingredients, which will have settled to the bottom.
- Cover on the dutch oven with its lid, and place in the heated oven. After half an hour, reduce heat to 200F. Cook overnight.
- The beef, eggs, and sugar are all optional.
- Do not use kidney beans for safety reasons.
- You can peel the potatoes before adding them if you want, but I don’t bother.